Baku, Azerbaijan, May 15
By Rufiz Hafizoglu - Trend:
The work for rescuing the miners in the Manisa Province continues without pause, Turkish President Abdullah Gul said, TRT Haber TV channel reported on May 15.
The president said there is tremendous mourning in Turkey, and people should support each other.
Gul stressed that the Turkish state will render the necessary aid to the families of those killed in the mining disaster.
He also thanked the countries that offered their help in rescuing the trapped miners.
Turkish government members and President Abdullah Gul have today arrived in the Manisa Province, where the mining disaster took place.
The government members and president reviewed the situation at the mine.
Two hundred and eighty-two people became the victims of the mining disaster that took place on May 13.
The work for rescuing the miners is underway despite little hope of saving them, Turkish Energy and Natural Resources Minister, Taner Yildiz said previously.
Currently, over 90 people remain under the rubble.
Turkey yesterday announced a three day mourning period for victims of the mining accident.
In total there are 740 coal mines and 48,706 miners in Turkey.
Over 3,000 people have been killed and over 100,000 have received various injuries since 1941 to the present day in the mine accidents in Turkey.
Some 10.4 percent of the total number of the work accidents occurs at mines in Turkey.
In the first four months of 2014, some 1,235 people were killed as a result of the work accidents in Turkey, 103 of them were female.
The previous worst mine accident in Turkey's history occurred in the province of Zonguldak in 1992, killing 263 workers.