Baku, Azerbaijan, March 12
By Rufiz Hafizoglu - Trend:
The resumption of protest is expected in Turkey following the death of a
15-year-old boy Berkin Elvan who was wounded in the head during a rally in Taksim Square in May last year, the Turkish Milliyet newspaper wrote on March 12.
Mass protests broke out across Turkey Tuesday night following the death of Elvan, the Turkish Hurriyyet newspaper earlier wrote on March 12.
The boy who remained in a coma almost a year, died on March 11. He was hit in the head by a tear gas canister.
Despite the crackdown a day before by Turkish police, protesters in Istanbul are currently erecting barricades, the newspaper said.
The largest demonstrations took place in Turkey's commercial center, Istanbul, and in the capital Ankara. Turkish police dispersed the demonstrators. Thousands of protesters gathered in front of the Middle East Technical University where a considerable police presence was noticed.
Protests had been taking place in Turkey for nearly three weeks since the end of May 2013.
Turkish authorities said the protests were anti-government.
Turkish opposition parties accuse the police of using excessive force to disperse the protestors.
Around 2.5 million people from 79 Turkish provinces participated in the protest during that time, according to figures from the Turkish Interior Ministry.
Nearly 4,000 people were injured, and 4,900 were detained by the authorities.
Translated by S.I.
Edited by C.N.
Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency