Turkey continues delivering humanitarian aid to Syria

Photo: Turkey continues delivering humanitarian aid to Syria / Politics

Baku, Azerbaijan, March 21

By Rufiz Hafizoglu - Trend:

Turkey continues delivering humanitarian aid to Syria, TRT Haber TV channel reported on March 21.

Eight trucks with humanitarian aid were sent as part of the aid to the war-affected people in Syria. It will be distributed among the residents of Aleppo and Idlib, according to the TV channel.

Turkey has sent over 2,000 convoys with humanitarian aid through the Turkish Foundation for Human Rights and Freedoms and Humanitarian Relief (IHH) to Syria in the last three years.

More than 80 percent of humanitarian goods were delivered to civilians while the remaining 20 percent were not delivered because of the hostilities in the country.

During the conflict in Syria which began in March 2011, over 140, 000 people were killed and over 4.2 million have become refugees in Syrian territory as well as 2.3 million having fled to neighboring countries. The main burden of receiving refugees has fallen on Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey. The total population of Syria before the conflict amounted to 20 million.

The number of Syrian refugees in Turkey exceeds 700,000 people, according to the Turkish Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD).

Translated by NH
Edited by CN

Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency

 
MOST READ