Iran’s abducted diplomat in Yemen may be released soon, deputy FM says

Photo: Iran’s abducted diplomat in Yemen may be released soon, deputy FM says / Iran

Baku, Azerbaijan, June 18

By Umid Niayesh - Trend:

Iranian deputy Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian has announced that the country's diplomat, Nour Ahmad Nikbakht who was abducted in the Yemeni capital may be released soon.

"In our latest conversation, Yemeni authorities announced that they have come closer to Nikbakht's release," Amir Abdollahian said, Iran's official IRNA news agency reported on June 18.

The Iranian deputy Foreign Minister also went on to note that the abducted diplomat is in good health.

Nikbakht was on his way to work from his home in the diplomatic quarter of Sana'a on July 21, 2013, when unidentified gunmen blocked the road, forced him out of his vehicle and abducted him.

Since then, a joint committee from the two countries has been following up the case.

In late January, a decapitated body was found in central Yemen which was believed to belong to Nikbakht. However, Tehran denied reports that the beheaded body was the Iranian diplomat's.

Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency

 
MOST READ