Azerbaijan, Baku, Feb. 22 / Trend I. Izzet /
Baku hopes that U.S. President Barack Obama will express his position on the Khojaly genocide and on the Azerbaijani occupied lands in general, Head of Azerbaijani Presidential Administration's Social and Political Department Ali Hasanov told media today.
He was commenting on the petition posted on the White House's website which has collected the required number of signatures.
"In any case, publicizing the issue and realizing people's desires are a normal procedure," he said.
"We believe that the demand sent to the White House on its website from Azerbaijan and different world countries will be taken into account in accordance with the rules of this procedure. More attention will be paid to the Khojaly genocide and the Armenian-Azerbaijani Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. The adequate assessment will be given."
The petitions posted on the White House's website in connection with the recognition of Khojaly genocide and the occupation of Azerbaijani territories collected the required 100,000 signatures.
On Feb. 25-26 February, 1992, Armenian occupation forces together with the 366th infantry regiment of Soviet troops stationed in Khankendi (previously called Stepanakert) committed an act of genocide towards the population of Azerbaijani Khojaly town.
Some 613 people were killed including 63 children, 106 women and 70 old men. A total of 1,000 civilians were disabled during the genocide.
Eight families were killed, 130 children lost one parent and 25 lost both. Additionally, 1275 innocent residents were taken hostage, while the fate of 150 remains unknown.
Do you have any feedback? Contact our journalist at email@example.com