Egyptian Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim said Wednesday that authorities would not allow any new sit-ins against the ouster of former president Mohammed Morsi, dpa reported.
"There is full coordination with the armed forces, and no more sit-ins will be allowed in any square in Egypt," Ibrahim said in a press conference shown live on state television.
Ibrahim announced that 43 police members, 18 of them officers, had been killed Wednesday, and 21 police stations had been stormed by Morsi supporters.
Police had come under fire with automatic weapons when attempting to clear the Muslim Brotherhood protest site at Rabaa al-Adawiya in north-east Cairo, Ibrahim said.
Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency