The United Nations said Wednesday that civilian deaths and injuries increased by 23 per cent in Afghanistan during the first six months of this year, dpa reported.
A UN report documented 1,319 civilian deaths and 2,522 injuries through June.
It said roadside bombs remained the biggest killer of Afghan men, women and children, but "increased ground engagement between Afghan forces and anti-government elements" was the second-largest cause of civilian casualties.
The rebels have increased their attacks since Afghan security forces took over security responsibility in the country from the NATO-led coalition last month.
Foreign troops are due to end their combat mission by the end of next year.
The UN report said ground combat between insurgents and security forces represents a "new trend in 2013 and increasing threat to Afghan civilians."
It attributed 74 per cent of civilian causalities to the insurgents, 9 per cent to pro-government forces and 12 per cent to "ground engagements between pro-government forces and anti-government elements."
Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency