Renewed rocket attack from Sinai on southern Israel

Photo: Renewed rocket attack from Sinai on southern Israel / Arab World

A rocket attack on southern Israel was launched from Egypt's Sinai region on Friday, but was intercepted by Israel's Iron Dome defence system, an Israeli official said, dpa reported. The rocket was aimed at the southern Israel Red Sea resort and port city of Eliat, Army spokesman Peter Lerner said on Twitter. There was no information about injuries or damage. As the missile approached Eliat, alarm signals howled in warning just as the Jewish Sabbath had begun. Lerner attached a YouTube video of the attack in his Twitter message. Just 11 days ago, a Sinai-based militant group, Ansar Bait al-Maqdis, claimed responsibility for two rockets fired at Eliat. The rockets landed in the desert outside the city, Israel officials said.

Earlier this month, Hamas, the Islamist movement ruling the Gaza Strip, deployed its armed men along the borders with Israel to stop militants from firing rockets at Israel and to prevent an escalation in tit-for-tat violence.

Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency

 
MOST READ