EU Special Envoy to South Caucasus: EU hopes for continuation of constructive dialogue in Nagorno-Karabakh settlement
Azerbaijan, Baku, May 17 / Trend, E.Ostapenko /
EU Special Envoy to South Caucasus Peter Semneby hopes for continuation of the constructive dialogue between Azerbaijan and Armenia on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
"Continuation of the negotiation process is necessary. I hope that after a quite intense period the constructive dialogue will be resumed," Semneby said in an interview with Trend over telephone from Tbilisi.
Azerbaijan's Deputy Foreign Minister Araz Azimov said earlier that standstill is observed in the negotiations on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict after Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents' meeting in January in Sochi,
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. Armenian armed forces have occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan since 1992, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and 7 surrounding districts. Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in 1994.
The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group - Russia, France, and the United States - are currently holding the peace negotiations.
Armenia has not yet implemented the U.N. Security Council's resolutions on the liberation of the Nagorno-Karabakh region and the occupied territories.
Semneby refused to comment on the format and details of the negotiation process, saying only that such issues "should be discussed within the adopted negotiation format".
Do you have any feedback? Contact our journalist at [email protected]