Azerbaijan dismisses info on Armenia shooting down its aircraft
BAKU, Azerbaijan, Oct. 1
The information that an aircraft belonging to the Azerbaijani Air Force was shot down is false, Trend reports citing the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
The information disseminated in the Armenian media that the aircraft belonging to the Azerbaijani Air Force was shot down and its wreckage fell on Iran’s territory does not correspond to reality, said the ministry.
"The Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense states that all aircraft belonging to the Azerbaijani Air Force are combat-ready and fully operational," the ministry said.
Armenian Armed Forces launched a large-scale military attack on positions of Azerbaijani army on the front line, using large-caliber weapons, mortars and artillery on Sept. 27. Azerbaijan responded with a counter-offensive along the entire front. As a result of retaliation, Azerbaijani troops managed to liberate some territories previously occupied by Armenia.
Moreover, the positions of the Armenian Armed Forces were destroyed in the direction of Azerbaijan's Agdere district and Murovdag, important heights were taken under control.
Military actions continued on Sept. 29. Azerbaijani army was able to destroy several tanks of the Armenian Armed Forces, as well as several key military facilities.
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.
The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations. Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on the withdrawal of its armed forces from Nagorno Karabakh and the surrounding districts.