Trend Interview with Chairman of National TV and Radio Council of Azerbaijan, Nushiravan Maharramli
- Were there alternative opinions and various positions while liquidating the results of the competition announced for the frequency of ANS TV.
- First, I note that finally the results of the competition announced for the frequency of ANS were resolved and the members of the Council were based on the law, but not on the feelings and emotions. The article 11 of the law On state purchases and item 8.3 of the Regulation of National TV and Radio Council of Azerbaijan states that the competition announced for the frequency should be attended by at least 3 participants. If the competition is attended by less than 3 participants, it shall be considered invalid and should be held again. And we made a decision based on the requirements of law. The decision was made unanimously. It means that each of 7 members of the Council voted for the decision. A new competition will be held for the frequency of ANS from February 20 to March 20, 2007, and its results will be considered till April 20, 2007. However, possibly the date of the competition will be prolonged due to the holidays. For instance, the competition may be prolonged till April 26. I note that the transmission of ANS will continue over the period of the new competition.
- Why was not the Head of ANS invited to this meeting?
- Because we did not consider it necessary. Last meeting of the Council was attended by the founders of ANS and we presented out opinion to their attention.
- What decision will the Council make if the new competition will not be attended by alternative participants too?
- I consider that the same situation will be this time too. However, we will not allow the situation to continue. Such situation can not happen for the third time.
- What do you mean while saying that you will not allow, what measures can the Council take to increase the number of the participants?
The TV and Radio Council of Azerbaijan is an organization that implements the state policy in this sphere. Then, we will initiate amendments to the legislation. In addition, taking into consideration the seriousness of the situation, the Council may undertake responsibility to make a decision.
- It means that the destiny of ANS will depend on the results of the competition?
- Yes, we will consider the results of the competition and give preference to the participant who meets the conditions of the competition. If the competition is won by other participant, the transmission of ANS will be stopped. If ANS exceeds other participants with its financial-technical base, staff and conception of programs, it will receive the frequency.