Azerbaijan, Baku / Trend corr.S.Agayeva / Maleyka Abbaszadeh, the chairman of the State Commission on the Student Admission of Azerbaijan, stands against the imposing prohibition to wear the headscarf (hijab) in the educational centers. "Wearing of the hijab is the personal choice of everybody. Everybody has the right for the education, in compliance with the Constitution of the Azerbaijani State independent of his religion," Abbaszadeh stated.
By the official information by the State Committee, 96% of Azerbaijani population makes up the Muslims, out of which 65% are shiits and the rest 35% are sunnits.
In 1992, the current education bill of Azerbaijan was passed. Since 1995, the Parliament initiated to develop a new bill, but no bill has been developed for the past12 years. The new bill is expected to be discussed, during the Parliamentary session on 28 December.
According to the Article 18 of the Azerbaijani Constitution, the religion is separate from the state, all the religions are equal before law and the state educational system carries a secular character.