( HealthDay News) - To prevent poisoning from carbon monoxide -- a colorless, odorless gas -- it's important to take precautions at home.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency offers these safety recommendations:
* Have your appliances that burn fuel checked once a year, including your chimney and furnace flues.
* Don't try to heat your home with a gas-burning oven.
* Never use a grill or barbecue inside the home, in a garage, or in any enclosed space.
* Don't use an unvented kerosene or gas heater inside the home, particularly while you sleep.
* Don't allow a lawn mower or car to run inside a garage.
* Use a carbon monoxide alarm in your home, particularly in areas where you sleep.