Azerbaijan, Baku, Oct. 29 /Trend, K.Zarbaliyeva/
The Head Police Department of Baku held operational meeting on the first nine months of this year.
Deputy Head of the Department, Police Major General
Elkhan Hasanov provided extensive information on the fight against crime, the measures taken to ensure public order and safety, service and operational activities during the reported period, the Department's press service reported on Friday.
According to him, during the reported period, 8,030 crimes were recorded in Baku, of which 6,992 (87 percent) are not serious and do not pose a serious danger to society. The remaining 1,038 (13 percent) crimes are serious or very serious.
As a result of preventive measures, compared with the same period of the last year, the facts of banditry have decreased by 7.8 percent, robbery - 25.4 percent, human trafficking - 23.5 percent, crimes related to drugs - 3.1 percent. The number of assassination attempts remains stable. Facts about taking people hostage or gangsterism have not been fixed. The number of disclosures of common crimes was 80 percent, serious - 77 percent. These figures have remained stable compared with last year.
During the reported period, 10 criminal gangs (22 people) who have committed banditry, 11 gangs (32 persons) who have committed robberies, and 19 gangs (48 people) who have committed burglary have been detained.
About 697 out of 1067 (in 2009 - 1,180) wanted criminals were arrested. Thanks to fruitful operational-search measures, the number of wanted criminals has decreased.
During the reported period, were disclosed 90 percent of 1,173 facts of crime connected with drug trafficking. 36 criminal gangs (45 people) were exposed, 130 kg of drugs, including 18.7 kg opium, 24.2 kg heroin, 24.5 kg hashish have been withdrawn.
Over the last nine months, 482 traffic accidents have been recorded (including 215 deaths). The number of traffic accidents has decreased by 14 facts (2.8 percent) due to preventive measures.