China's Huawei Technologies to supply equipment for fiber-optic network in Uzbekistan
Uzbekistan, Tashkent, Aug.12 /Trend D.Azizov/
Joint Stock Company Uzbektelecom and Chinese Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd signed a contract worth $12.4 million. The Chinese company will supply telecom equipment for the fiber optic network E-education created in Uzbekistan in accordance with the project, Uzbektelecom told Trend on Friday.
Fiber-optic network E-education was launched in September 2011 and brings together 83 institutions involved in the organization of higher education. Currently the connection of secondary specialized vocational education to the network of institutions is being implemented.
It is planned to connect 164 institutions of higher education in Uzbekistan, as well as their branches and departments to the network in the long term.
E-education should turn into a network, full of various educational materials available in all educational institutions.
It will include a virtual library, electronic educational resources of universities; the elements of distance education and videoconferencing will be introduced in the educational process.
As previously reported, a special e-learning center will be established to coordinate these activities.
The total project cost to build a national network of E-education is $16.6 million. Chinese equipment is purchased at own expense of JSC Uzbektelecom, while 15 percent of the contract value will be paid as a down payment, the remaining 85 percent - in thirty equal monthly installments at an interest rate of 2.2 per cent per annum.
JSC Uzbektelecom is exempt from payment of customs duties on telecommunications equipment, materials and spare parts not produced in the country and imported in the frame of the project before January 1, 2013.