IT Development Prospects in Azerbaijan Defined
Azerbaijan, Baku / Trend corr S. Babayeva / The Azerbaijani Government defined medium-term prospects of IT development in Azerbaijan for 2008-2011. Both communications and IT fields in Azerbaijan has taken an advanced position, the Government reported.
The key strategy of IT development in Azerbaijan for 2008-2011 is based on the national IT strategy (2003-2012) which envisages the following:
- creation of climate for informing citizens and social institutions;
- creation of electronic government;
- creation of developed IT system, formation of a unified information area, expansion of IT services;
- provision of information security in Azerbaijan and establishment of basic elements of electronic government;
- Azerbaijani's integration in world's electronic information area;
- development of IT products manufacturing;
- improvement of skills among state IT employees.
According to the Government, development of IT field envisages implementation of the Electronic Azerbaijan program, introduction and development of digital television in the country, establishment of regional high-tech innovation zones, rendering of new financial services in postal offices of Azerpocht state enterprise, development of proposals on launching of national communication satellite, acceleration of introduction of new telecommunication services, creation of independent regulatory body, and creation of competitive atmosphere.
Privatization of state share in joint ventures, modernization of telephone network, completion of construction of underwater segment of TAE fibre-optic main, development of new cable television also play an important part.
In 2008-2011, it is planned to modernize and extend postal network, render new services, including exchange of electronic money orders, linking of postal system to general banking-fiscal network. Moreover, a free economic area will be created, IT will be introduced to improvement of educational field, Electronic Health Cart system will be established, and the People's Computer project will be implemented.