Azerbaijan's Communication Ministry awaits decision of expert group on Azerspace satellite project
Azerbaijan, Baku, Jan. 21 / Trend H.Valiyev /
The Azerbaijani Communication and IT Ministry waits for a decision of the expert group, serving a consultant on the project to launch the Azerspace national telecommunications satellite, the ministry reported.
Earlier the ministry reported that, the contract with the manufacturer of the satellite - Orbital Sciences Corporation, will be concluded in mid-February. During this period is also expected to define the launch vehicle for the satellite's orbit. The launch is scheduled for 2012
Azerbaijan is presently negotiating with the project's contractor and an insurance company. The original contract stipulated launching the satellite with the help of the U.S. "Falcon" carrier rocket. However, as the U.S. project has been delayed, Azerbaijan has entered negotiations with Ukroboronservis.
Delivery of the Azerspace resources to the international market is the country's main priority. Presently, the Azerbaijani ministry is in talks with several countries regarding the implementation of 40 percent the satellite's resources. Earlier, Malaysia expressed readiness to implement 40 percent the satellite's resources. The ministry intends to deliver 80 percent of the Azerspace resources to the international market, while the remaining 20 percent will be used for intra-level.
The satellite's cost will be roughly 163 million manat. The satellite's construction will cost 87 million manat, and 40 million manat will be spent on the satellite's orbit. A satellite control center will cost 16 million manat and the remaining 18 million manat will be spent on fully insuring the satellite.
The satellite's terms of exploitation will be 15 years with a payback period of about five years. Azerbaijan intends to use about 25 percent of the satellite's resources, and the remaining amount will be offered to operators in other countries.
Implementation of the satellite project will be economically advantageous achievement for Azerbaijan and the investments will be paid off within five to seven years, after which the satellite will be 100 percent profitable.
The national satellite will enable Azerbaijan to create high quality and reliable communications systems and television, as well as increase the number of channels.
The ITU (International telecommunication Union) marked the position of 43.2, 58.5 and 96 degrees east longitude to place the Azerspace national satellite. The satellite will be equipped with three beams directed at Europe, Asia and Africa, which will allow the country to act as a transit country in the broadcast channels.
Azerbaijan intends to hold talks on coordination of frequency assignments of satellite systems with several countries. The country is expected to negotiate to determine acceptable levels of interference to satellite networks and to achieve coordination of satellite networks in Azerbaijan with Russia, Ukraine, Turkey, Monaco and Italy. The most priority is to coordinate issues on the positions of 43.2 and 58.5 degrees east longitude. At present, the coordination of frequency assignments of satellite systems discussed with the Kazakh Informatization and Communications Agency.
Do you have any feedback? Contact our journalist at: [email protected]