Tajikistan’s ex-deputy defense minister accused of organizing armed attacks
Baku, Azerbaijan, Sept.5
By Elena Kosolapova - Trend:
An armed attack was committed by a terrorist group on internal affairs department of Tajikistan's Vahdat city and the central apparatus of the Defense Ministry in Dushanbe Sept.4, the country's Interior Ministry said.
Eight employees of the Interior Ministry were killed as a result of the attack, according to the ministry.
Reportedly, a considerable amount of weaponry and ammunition was captured as a result of the attack by the terrorist group.
As a result of the investigative work carried out by Tajikistan's security forces, it was revealed that the terrorist group was acting in accordance with a pre-prepared plan in collision with accomplices, under the leadership of Major General Nazarzoda Abduhalim Mirzo ( Khodzhi Khalim), former deputy defense minister of Tajikistan, said the Interior Ministry.
Previously, Nazarzoda Abduhalim Mirzo fought on the side of the United Tajik Opposition.
However, in accordance with the peace deal dated June 27, 1997, he was brought into the Tajik Armed Forces.
Stockpiles of weapons and ammunition were seized as a result of the investigative measures.
"When committing the terrorist acts, Abduhalim Mirzo abused his powers of the deputy defense minister and misled the employees of the Defense Ministry by fraud and forgery," said the ministry.
Abduhalim Mirzo actively participated and personally led the terrorist acts from start to finish, according to Tajikistan's Interior Ministry.
Six members of the terrorist group were detained as a result of the special operations. Another nine criminals were eliminated.
The Interior Ministry said that investigative activities to detain Abduhalim Mirzo and his other accomplices continue by the country's security forces.
A criminal case has been initiated upon the fact at the country's Prosecutor General's Office.
Follow the author on Twitter: @E_Kosolapova