Iran replies to West's nuclear package, meeting in 2 weeks
Iran on Friday replied to the latest incentive package of the United Nations veto powers plus Germany (5+1), state television reported.
Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Saeid Jalili told European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana in a phone contact that the reply was "with a constructive view and based on common grounds" of the side's positions and proposals, reported dpa.
Official news agency IRNA reported that the Iranian ambassador to Brussels has in the meantime delivered the reply to Solana.
The 5+1 package which was presented last month by Solana to Tehran includes financial and political incentives but the main demand by the world powers from Iran is suspending the uranium enrichment process.
It is not yet clear whether Iran has accepted enrichment suspension, although observers doubt Iran will make any concession on the issue but rather will proposed a middle way to settle the dilemma.
The Fars news agency reported that Jalili and Solana would meet around mid-July on this issue but gave neither exact date nor venue.
There have been unconfirmed reports that the two sides might make a compromise upon which Iran would freeze enrichment at its current level and in return the 5+1 would refrain from floating new sanctions.
The idea was first raised last year by International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) head Mohamed ElBaradei, but Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has several times stressed that Iran would not suspend its enrichment process even on a short-term basis.
Observers believe that Iran's only concession at the current stage would be resuming the IAEA Additional Protocol which would allow snap inspections by the UN nuclear watchdog of all nuclear sites.
While Iran says that all its nuclear projects were for civil purposes and in line with the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty regulations and IAEA supervision, the world powers fear that Iran would use the same technology to pursue a secret military programme and build an atomic bomb.