Some western and regional states were behind the failure of Annan's peace mission in Syria, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said here on Friday.
He made the remarks in an interview with IRNA.
Speaking about the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's remark who has introduced China and Russia as the reason behind the failure of Annan's peace mission for Syria, the Iranian foreign minister noted that the American officials are projecting the issue because they themselves had always impeded the way for success of the Annan's peace plan.
'Annan has always complained the lack of coherence among the UN Security Council member-states and he didn't mean Russia or China; although the Annan peace plan was accepted by the Syrian government and supported by countries like Iran, but the Arab League and some regional and western states were the ones that prevented its progress.'
Salehi underlined that Annan believed without the presence of effective countries like Iran, the resolution of Syria political crisis is impossible.
'The success of Annan's peace plan was against the will of western countries and some regional states; Annan peace plan stressed the resolution of Syria issue through national dialogue between Syrians themselves without foreign interference but western states tried to use the crisis as an opportunity for ousting Bashar Al-Assad government and transferring power to a government with an unknown identity.'
He concluded that Annan's six-point plan is still the best solution on the table for the resolution of Syrian crisis.
The high-ranking official thanked Annan efforts, adding that Iran hopes anyone who replaces Annan will do the job independently similar to his or her predecessor, otherwise he or she will not make a success.
Annan took the responsibility as UN and Arab League special envoy to Syria on February 23 and resigned on Thursday, August 2.
Syria voiced regret over Annan's decision to step down, and lashed out at certain foreign states for their insincere stances towards both Annan's peace plan and Damascus's efforts to restore peace and stability in the country.
'The foreign countries, that targeted the stability in Syria and at the same time voted in favor of Annan's (peace) plan, always insisted on the failure of Annan's plan,' Syrian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Thursday evening.
The statement added that the foreign countries have never been sincere about their claims on trying to help the Syrian government to pass through the crisis and they have even tried to make Annan's plan to fail by supporting the terrorist groups and giving shelter to them.
Meantime, the statement stressed that Syria has always proven its commitment to Annan's plan and it has always cooperated with the international observers in Syria.
Annan announced that he will leave his post on August 31, and stressed that disunity in the international community has hampered his ability to carry out his mission in Syria.
'I did not receive all the support that the cause deserved,' Annan said at a press conference in Geneva on Thursday.
Annan brokered a six-point peace plan earlier this year, but it has struggled to gain traction on the ground.
Annan's plan called for the realization of a ceasefire between the government and the opposition and also urged that humanitarian groups be allowed to have access to the population, detainees be released, and a political dialogue be started.
Terrorists and rebels widely supported by the US and some regional counties have disregarded the cease-fire that stood on top of Annan's plan and was to begin in April.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011 with organized attacks by well-armed gangs against Syrian police forces and border guards being reported across the country.
Hundreds of people, including members of the security forces, have been killed, when some protest rallies turned into armed clashes.
The government blames outlaws, saboteurs, and armed terrorist groups for the deaths, stressing that the unrest is being orchestrated from abroad.