(RIA Novosti) - Iran's foreign minister Tuesday spoke positively about a package of incentives proposed by six international negotiators on Iran's controversial nuclear program but said it had set no deadline for a response.
"Iran has put its fair position on the table and our friends in Europe responded with fresh proposals," Manouchehr Mottaki told a news conference in Azerbaijan's capital, Baku, on the sidelines of an Organization of the Islamic Conference meeting, reports Trend.
The minister promised to study carefully the proposals of Iran Six, the five permanent members of the UN Security Council and Germany.
EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana presented a package of incentives for Iran, which many countries suspect of pursuing a secret weapons program, in return for its consent to halt uranium enrichment during his visit to the Islamic Republic on June 6.
But Mottaki said the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, had acknowledged every country's right to peaceful nuclear developments.
In response to comments made in Washington that Iran could face sanctions, the minister said: "Some people seem to have forgotten that the time of threats has passed and if they had made the right conclusions from last week's debates in the U.S. Senate, they would have a better understanding of the situation."
Mottaki did not rule out that talks with Iran 6 could start before the country had given its final decision to clarify some points in the package of incentives.
He said Tehran would welcome any country's proposals seeking a diplomatic solution to Iran's nuclear problem.