Iran withholds cash subsidies to 3.2 million citizens
Tehran, Iran, March 29
By Mehdi Sepahvand -- Trend:
The Iranian government has dropped 3.2 million citizens from the list of people receiving monthly cash subsidies, according to Minister of Labor Ali Rabii briefing a conference on the government's past-year activities.
He said initially 3.9 million people were delisted, but after 700 thousand plead against their exclusion from the list, their subsidies payments was temporarily resumed, ISNA news agency reported March 29.
The cash subsidies is a monthly payment of about $15 paid to about 70 million Iranians each.
The subsidies pose a great burden on the government's oil-dependent income. Oil Minister Bijan Zanganeh last year said they exhaust the oil income and hamper all developmental projects.
Rabii added during the last Iranian year (which ended March 19), the payment of workers increased with a pace greater than the country's inflation rate, a first-time achievement in the country.
According to latest reports, the country's economic inflation stands around 11 percent. Wages for the current year were increased by 14 percent.