Iran’s foreign ministry to declassify documents over 40 years old
Baku, Azerbaijan, Nov. 15
By Fatih Karimov – Trend
Iran’s foreign ministry will declassify documents dating back to over 40 years, Mohammad Javad Zarif, Iran’s foreign minister said.
The documents will be published under the supervision of Supreme Supervisory Council for Documents with responsibility of foreign minister, Zarif said, Mehr news agency reported Nov. 15.
He further said that historic documents dating back 30 years also will be permitted to being published under the same terms.
The historical documents will be put at the disposal of researchers within the framework of laws and the country’s national interests, Zarif said.
At least 50 million historic-political documents are kept in the foreign ministry’s center for documents, Zarif said, adding that the oldest document belongs to 1463.
Last year Iran announced that it will declassify documents and materials related to the Iran-Iraq War of 1980-1988.
Orders and verdicts of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the Islamic Republic’s founder and Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei as well as orders of the president and decisions of the Supreme Defense Council will remain classified.