Protestors in Yerevan appeal to European Court of Human Rights
Baku, Azerbaijan, July 1
Sixteen Armenian citizens who claimed to have suffered as a result of the disperse of the protest action against the increase in electricity tariffs in Armenia, have appealed to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), Epress.am reported citing one of the applicants, coordinator of "Union of Informed Citizens" NGO Daniel Ioannisyan.
"We have not received an answer yet, however, according to ECHR procedure, the Court must have had already sent an inquiry to the government of Armenia in connection with the June 23 events and the threat of recurrence of violence," Ioannisyan said.
"As we can see, after the complaint, police have become cautious in their actions towards protesters. Thus, the government wants to refute our claim about the threat of recurrence of violence," he said.
Ioannisyan added that this threat, however, is evidenced by photos of combat armored vehicles and water cannons presently located on Baghramyan Avenue and Demirchyan street, which have also been sent to the European Court of Human Rights.
Earlier, the Armenian authorities decided to raise the electricity tariffs by 16 percent. This sparked a protest that started in Yerevan on June 19 and on the night between June 22 and June 23 it turned into a march towards the presidential residence at the Baghramyan Avenue.
The police using truncheons and water cannons dispersed the demonstrators. Nearly 240 people, including journalists, were taken to police stations, 18 people sought medical help.
The rally resumed in the evening on June 23. Those who gathered at Liberty Square again marched to the presidential residence, but their way was once again blocked by the police cordons.
Edited by SI