Saudi says 3 wanted militants killed abroad in Sept. blast
Saudi Arabia said Saturday that three wanted Saudi militants were killed in an attack that occurred on Sept. 14 abroad, Xinhua reported.
"The security agencies have been learnt of a blast that occurred during a meeting of the deviant group abroad on the 24th of Ramadan, killing a number of the attendees and leaving others injured, including Saudis who are wanted by the Saudi authorities, " an Interior Ministry spokesman was quoted by state-run Saudi Press Agency (SPA) as saying.
The statement did not name the country where the explosion took place or reveal the exact number of those killed and injured, or even the cause of the blast.
According to the spokesman, DNA tests revealed the identities of three of the militants who were listed as wanted by the Saudi authorities.
The report named the three as Mohamed Abdulrahman Suleiman al- Rashed, 28, Fahd Saleh Suleiman al-Jutaili, 28, and Sultan Sumaileel al-Dalbahi al-Otaibi, 26.
Al-Jutaili, a former Guantanamo detainee who was extradited to the kingdom about four years ago, was admitted into a national program for rehabilitation, but he sneaked abroad to join an Islamist group that "targets the homeland with criminal plans," according to the report.
Al-Rashed and al-Otaibi managed to travel to the "troubled areas" using false documents to join the extremist groups, the report added, noting that the trio were included in the wanted list last year.
Saudi Arabia, a U.S. ally in the Middle East and the world's top oil producer and exporter, has been battling Islamist militants, spearheaded by al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), since they launched a spate of bombing and shootings in May 2003. The Saudi government has arrested hundreds of suspects over the past year.