World will act if Gaddafi violence continues, NATO chief warns Eds: NATO defence ministers meet Thursday and Friday
The world will not allow the regime of Libyan leader Moamer Gaddafi to continue attacking anti-government forces without trying to stop him, NATO's secretary general said Monday , reported dpa.
NATO has so far played a cautious role in the events in Libya, asking its generals to draw up a plan for possible military action in the country, but insisting that it would only use them if given the explicit backing of the United Nations Security Council.
"The international community monitors the situation closely, and if Gaddafi and his military continue to attack the Libyan population systematically, I can't imagine the international community and UN standing idly by," Anders Fogh Rasmussen said.
The fledgling Libyan opposition movement has already called for world powers to impose a no-fly zone over Libya to prevent air forces loyal to Gaddafi launching bombing raids against them.
Rasmussen called for caution, saying that such an operation would require "a wide range of military assets." The last time NATO operated a no-fly campaign, over Kosovo in 1999, it flew over 38,000 sorties in 78 days.
At the same time, "I assume that any NATO operation would take place in accordance with, and pursuant to, a UN mandate, and I take note of the fact that the current UN mandate doesn't authorise the use of armed force," he said.
NATO defence ministers are due to meet in Brussels on Thursday and Friday. The meeting was planned months ago to debate reform issues, but is now expected to discuss the Libyan situation.
"They will consider how NATO can do more to help our partners in North Africa and the wider Middle East during this period of transition - if they so wish," Rasmussen said.