Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi has pledged compensation for the families of the victims of the violence in Port Said, dpa reported according to state media reported Friday.
Authorities say more than 40 people have been killed in clashes between anti-government protesters and police in the Suez Canal city since January.
The clashes erupted after a court sentenced 21 people to death for football riots that claimed 74 lives in February 2012.
"Investigations are under way into those incidents... All rights of the martyrs" families are guaranteed," Morsi said in a televised statement.
"We feel sad for the shedding of a single drop of blood from any of our people in Port Said."
The army last week took over from police in guarding key state institutions in the city.