Prince William in second high seas drugs bust: ministry
Prince William has been involved in a second drugs bust operation in the Caribbean, where he is serving on board a Royal Navy warship, the defence ministry in London said Saturday, AFP reported.
The 26-year-old, who is second in line to the throne, was on a Lynx helicopter that chased down a speedboat suspected of involvement in trafficking cocaine from South America and opened fire to shoot out its engine.
Three men on the craft, which tried to flee, jumped into the sea and were later taken to the Type-23 frigate HMS Iron Duke, where William is on a two-month placement.
A Ministry of Defence (MoD) spokesman said in a statement that no drugs were found on board the speedboat, but there were traces on two of the three crew members.
Traffickers will often dump their cargo rather than have it seized, he added.
"(Prince William) witnessed the firing but wasn't involved in it. He then returned to ship to resume his normal duties as officer of the watch," the spokesman said.
HMS Iron Duke - a North Atlantic Ocean patrol boat that also helps US Coastguard with counter-narcotics operations - had been tracking the vessel 110 miles (177 kilometres) off the coast near the Venezuela-Colombia border.
The speedboat was later sunk and the three men picked up were handed to the Colombian authorities.
The MoD said on July 2 that William - known as Sub-Lieutenant Wales - helped in a similar operation against an ocean-going speedboat, which had cocaine with an estimated value of 40 million pounds (51 million euros, 79.5 million dollars) on board.
William has previously trained with the British Army and learnt how to fly with the Royal Air Force to prepare him for a future role as head of the armed forces.