US Air Force says fire erupted months ago next to missile silo but didn't pose big threat
The U.S. military says a fire broke out in a room adjacent to a Wyoming missile silo a few months ago but never threatened a disaster, the Associated Press reported.
Air Force Maj. Laurie Arellano said Thursday that the fire near the Minuteman III missile was caused by a faulty battery charger in the unmanned launch complex and burned itself out.
It was discovered days later.
Arellano says safety systems prevented an accidental launch and that there was no danger of nuclear detonation or a radiation leak. She would not discuss whether the missile contained a nuclear warhead.
The fire occurred in May east of Cheyenne, Wyoming. It was reported Thursday on the Web site of The Gazette of Colorado Springs.