Afghanistan, Kabul,9, November / corr Trend A. Hakimi / Kandahar official confirms civilian casualties in US bombing raid on a wedding party
For the first time Kandahar Governor has confirmed that during a US-air-strike on a wedding party 37 civilians were killed earlier this week.
On Saturday, President Karzai called elders and villagers in the area to express his condolences and to order the authorities there to provide compensation to the victims' families.
The US military said a joint investigation with Afghan officials and Afghan security forces had revealed that 37 civilians were killed and 35 were wounded.
This incident happened when Afghan army an Afghan army patrol was ambushed by Taliban militants near the district's Wech Baghtu village.
A delegation from the Kandahar officials sent to the Shah Wali Kot district, where the incident took place.
In this bombardment, in spite of civilians 38 Taliban militants were killed during the operation, said the official.
Influential elders and dignitaries of the district confirmed the truth of US military's joint investigation that insurgents had fired on the joint forces from civilian homes of the village.
The villagers also said that armed Taliban did not allow families from leaving the village, they stated that Taliban deliberately attempt to cause civilian casualties.
US Forces spokesman said," Our primary effort is to provide security for the civilian population and We regret this tragic loss of innocent lives and express our condolences to the families and to the people of Afghanistan."
The US military also reported that villagers saw militants attempting to use residents as human shields.