Egypt "displeased" with consulate attack in Yemen: spokesman
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry on Tuesday condemned an attack against Egypt's consulate in the Yemeni city of Aden, the state MENA news agency reported.
Egypt is "displeased with the attempt to break into its consulate" in Aden, Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hossam Zaki was quoted as saying, Xinhua reported.
According to earlier reports, hundreds of angry protesters stormed the Egyptian consulate in the southern Yemeni city of Aden to protest against Cairo's alleged role in the ongoing Israeli military offensive on the Gaza Strip.
The protesters stormed the front gate of the two-story building and threw computers from windows while setting fire to the Egyptian flag.
Egypt condemned the attack that "has been committed by a group of riffraff," Zaki said.
A Yemeni security official said most of the protesters were local university students, who were later removed peacefully from the building surrounded by heavy security forces.
The incident caused no casualties, according to the reports.
About 369 Palestinians have so far been killed and 1,700 others wounded in the powerful offensive since Saturday which Israel said was in revenge for nearly daily cross-border rocket attacks by Palestinian militants.
Many Arabs and Muslims are accusing Egypt of giving the green light to the Israeli assault on Gaza, which was refuted by Egypt.