Ailing Jankovic cuts her Hong Kong losses
Jelena Jankovic has cut her losses, withdrawing from a high-powered Hong Kong tuneup for the Australian Open on Saturday and flying straight to Melbourne suffering with the flu, dpa reported.
The Serb will now be well short on match practise for the Grand Slam which starts a week from Monday.
Jankovic said she had been ill for several days and had managed to play only one doubles match at Victoria Park in the World Team Challenge.
"I have the flu, I've been feeling weak and sick for a few days," said the 23-year-old who is still searching for a first major title. "I'm trying my best to play but I feel slow.
"It was a great chance to get some matches before the Open. But this is something you can't control."
The Serb is the second major name to pull out from Melbourne after men's number five Nikolay Davydenko said he would not play due to a heel injury.