The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) on Monday announced the deaths of two more people linked to the A/H1N1 flu in the state, bringing the total to six, Xinhua reported.
The latest victims involved a 13 year-old boy and a 64 year-old adult, both from the Worcester County, according to a news release from the department late Monday.
The boy died last week with a number of underlying health conditions that put him at greater risk of complications from the flu, the department said, while the old resident died over the weekend and also had a series of underlying health conditions.
"It is with great sadness that we have learned of two more deaths including the first pediatric death of a Massachusetts resident related to H1N1. We extend our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of both of these individuals," said DPH Commissioner John Auerbach.
"While most cases of H1N1 in Massachusetts and across the nation have been less severe, this news demonstrates once again how serious influenza can be," he added.
On Thursday the department reported 1,328 confirmed cases of the A/H1N1 flu with four deaths, all adults, in the state. Sixty-four percent of the cases in the state have been people under the age of 18, the department added.
On a whole, the state witnessed a slight uptick in doctor office visits for flu-like illness last week, though it was far below the peak last month, the department said.
Nationwide, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday reported a total of 37,246 confirmed and probable cases of the A/H1N1 flu in all the 50 states plus the District of Columbia and U.S. territory Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands, with 211 deaths in 24 states.