Afghan troops shot dead would-be suicide bomber in S. Afghanistan
Soldiers of Afghanistan National Army (ANA) shot dead a would-be suicide bomber in Taliban former stronghold Kandahar province, south Afghanistan, Afghan Defense Ministry said in a statement Tuesday, Xinhua reported.
"ANA soldiers foiled a terrorist attack by gunning down a suicide bomber who was attempting to detonate his explosive-laden car at the main gate of military base, in Dand district Monday evening," the statement said.
However, the suicide bomber before dying blew himself up injuring six soldiers, but their wounds are not life threatening, the statement added.
The statement further said that clash between troops and Taliban insurgents in Rashidan district of the southern Ghazni province on the same day left two rebels dead and injured three others.
Militants have intensified activities since launching a major offensive Khanjar which means "strike of sword" on July 2 against Taliban hideouts in the southern Helmand province.
With the involvement of nearly 5,000 U.S. Marines and Afghan troops, so far Khanshin district has been regained and battle for restoring government control to the all territories held by Taliban is going on.
The districts of Baghran, Washir and Dishor are said to be under Taliban control and the government is determined to recapture them ahead of presidential election set for Aug. 20 this year.