U.S. Secretary of State condems mosque attacks in Iran
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Thursday condemned attacks on a Shiite mosque in Iran that killed at least 20 and injured more than 100, Xinhua reported.
"I condemn in the strongest possible terms today's terrorist attacks claimed by Jundallah that targeted Iranians at a mosque in the Sistan-Baluchestan province of Iran," Clinton said in a statement.
"The United States extends its sympathy to the families and loved ones of those injured and killed. We also call for the perpetrators of this horrific attack to be held accountable for their actions," she said.
"This attack, along with the recent attacks in Uganda, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Algeria, underscores the global community's need to work together to combat terrorist organizations that threaten the lives of innocent civilians all around the world."
At least 20 were killed and more than 100 injured in two explosions that hit a mosque in Iran's southeastern city of Zahedan on Thursday, Iran's official IRNA news agency reported.
Among those killed in the blast were members of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), the country's most powerful military force.
Sistan-Baluchistan province is home to the Jundallah insurgency, which is a Sunni group that has claimed responsibility for explosions that have killed dozens in recent years, including several senior commanders of Iran's Revolutionary Guard last year.