The United Nations and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) were Monday negotiating with the Sudanese government over reported expulsion orders issued against Darfur aid workers, officials said, dpa reported
The Arabic language daily Ajras al-Huriya on Monday reported that senior officials from the UN refugee agency (UNHCR), the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the ICRC had been ordered to leave the country.
However, the UN said it had not been officially informed of the decision.
"At this stage we are apprised of the situation and we are waiting on further clarification from the government on what orders have been issued officially," Sam Hendricks, a spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Sudan told the German Press Agency dpa.
"Negotiations are going on as we speak."
The ICRC denied that its director in West Darfur had been expelled, saying there had been some "confusion" over a field trip that it was trying to clarify.
"In agreement with local authorities, we have recalled our head of office from El-Geneina," Aleksandra Matijevic Mosimann, the ICRC's spokesperson in Sudan, told dpa. "She is currently in Khartoum and will likely be deployed elsewhere."
The Sudanese government has become prickly over humanitarian aid in the restive western province of Darfur since the International Criminal Court (ICC) issued an arrest warrant against President Omar al-Bashir for war crimes in March 2009.
Sudan quickly expelled thirteen aid agencies from the province - a move which caused uproar amongst charities attempting to care for millions of people displaced by the conflict.
Two senior aid workers with the International Organization for Migration (IOM) were expelled last month days after the ICC added charges of genocide to the warrant.
The UN estimates 300,000 people have died in Darfur since 2003, when mainly non-Arab tribesmen took up arms against what they called decades of neglect and discrimination by the Arab-dominated government in Khartoum.
Even though fighting has died down to sporadic clashes, millions remain in internationally funded camps.
Al-Bashir is accused of funding Arab militiamen and allowing them to run amok in the province.