Gezi Park to be opened to people soon, governor says
Istanbul Governor Huseyin Avni Mutlu has said the Gezi Park, which has been closed for almost two weeks since police cleared the park of protesters who had been camping there, will be opened within a few days after completion of municipality's works, Todays Zaman newspaper reported.
The Gezi Park has been closed for almost two weeks. When government began to implement a redevelopment plan at the Gezi Park in late May, protesters staged demonstrations across the country and at the park.
After bitter clashes with police, protesters occupied the park for two weeks.
Government ordered police to clear the park when negotiations over the withdrawal of the camping protesters failed to bring a result on June 15.
Mutlu said people will be able to go to the park in the days to come.