No Turkish fire targeted any US outpost in Syria, Defense Ministry says
No Turkish fire targeted any U.S. observation point in Syria, Turkey's Defense Ministry said, responding to a report of an explosion near a U.S. military outpost, Trend reports citing Daily Sabah.
"It is out of the question that any fire targeted the U.S.'s observation post," the ministry said in a written statement.
Stating that every kind of measure was being taken in order not to harm the U.S. base, it said "fire was halted as a precautionary measure when the U.S. conveyed its concerns."
"It is out of the question to target any U.S. and coalition forces," it stressed.
A U.S. official said an explosion occurred near a U.S. military outpost in northern Syria on Friday, but no personnel were reported hurt.
The official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the source of the explosion near Ayn al-Arab, Syria, was unclear.
The official added that U.S. troops were in the outpost at the time of the explosion, but there had been no further activity since.
The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley told reporters at the Pentagon on Friday that Turkey had been told of U.S. positions in Syria.
"The Turkish military is fully aware — down to explicit grid coordinate detail — of the locations of U.S. forces," Milley said.
Turkey launched Operation Peace Spring, the third in a series of cross-border anti-terror operations in northern Syria targeting terrorists affiliated with Daesh and the PKK's Syrian offshoot the People's Protection Units (YPG), on October 9 at 4 p.m.