...

Chief of Turkish General Staff released during special operation

Türkiye Materials 16 July 2016 09:49 (UTC +04:00)

Baku, Azerbaijan, July 16

Trend:

Chief of Turkish General Staff Hulusi Akar, who was taken as a hostage earlier by servicemen attempted the coup in the country, has been released during the special operation, Hurriyet newspaper reported July 16.

Currently, there is no any threat to his life.

Earlier, Turkish Minister of Justice Bekir Bozdag said that there is no news about the Chief of Turkish General Staff Hulusi Akar.

A chaotic night began late Friday with reports of soldiers trying to wrestle control of bridges and key functions in major cities, and turned into a nightmare when army helicopters began airstrikes and shelled key locations in the capital, Ankara, Anadolu reported.

Bombs struck near the Turkish Grand Assembly, witnesses said.

Forty-six servicemen headed the coup attempt, according to the report.

Commenting on the situation in Turkey, the country’s Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said that the total number of those killed during the attempt of a military coup has not been determined yet.

It was previously reported that 60 people were killed in Ankara during a coup attempt.

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim called the coup attempt a terrorist act.

Tags:
Latest

Latest