Defense of Kazakh student accused of Boston terrorist attack to appeal court decision

Photo: Defense of Kazakh student accused of Boston terrorist attack to appeal court decision / Kazakhstan

Astana, Kazakhstan, July 23

By Daniyar Mukhtarov - Trend:

The defense of Kazakh citizen Azamat Tazhayakov intends to appeal the decision of the jury which found him guilty of obstructing the investigation of a terrorist attack in Boston, the Kazakh foreign ministry said on July 22.

"Tazhayakov's lawyer must appeal until August 27," the ministry said. "The answer must be made no later than September 22."

The Kazakh Foreign Ministry is closely observing the trial over Kazakh citizens Tazhayakov and Dias Kadyrbayev, according to a press release. In particular, the Consul of Kazakhstan in New York takes part in all proceedings as an observer.

It was previously reported that the jury acknowledged Kazakh student Tazhayakov guilty of obstructing the investigation of a terrorist attack that occurred in the U.S. Boston (Massachusetts) in April 2013.

Twenty-year-old Tazhayakov was found guilty on both charges. The first charge (obstruction of justice) is punishable by imprisonment for up to 20 years, the second charge (conspiracy to obstruct justice) - for up to five years. Thus, he faces up to 25 years in prison. The date of the verdict announcement has not been set.

A terrorist attack in Boston occurred during the marathon in April 2013. As a result of two explosions, three people were killed and more than 260 were injured. Tsarnaev brothers Johar and Tamerlan were suspected of involvement in the terrorist attack. Later Tamerlan was killed in a shootout with police.

According to the prosecution, Tazhayakov and Kadyrbayev took a rucksack from Johar Tsarnaev's room after the media disseminated a photo of Tsarnaev suspected of committing a terrorist act.

The trial over Kadyrbayev will begin in Boston in September.

Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency