Six Afghan soldiers die of carbon monoxide poisoning
At least six soldiers with the Afghan National Army died after breathing carbon monoxide from diesel-powered heaters in eastern Afghanistan, an official said Thursday, dpa reported.
"The incident occurred in Sahrabagh military base (in Khost province) on Wednesday night while the soldiers were asleep," provincial deputy governor Abdul Wahed Pathan said.
The soldiers died on their way to hospital, he said, adding there were no signs that insurgents were behind the incident.
Afghans mostly use coal and diesel heaters in the cold winter.