Mass rape in northern Iran obscure after one month
Baku, Azerbaijan, October 27
By Khalid Kazimov- Trend:
No official report has been heard about the case of a series of mass rapes that leaked into Iranian media one month ago.
Despite the time passed, no media, not even local media of the city of Qazvin, where the crime took place, has covered any official report about the case, Farhikhtegan newspaper reported Oct. 27.
It was about one month ago when news was heard about a series of mass rapes in the northern Iranian city of Qazvin.
It was said then that some 10 men had on three occasions lured girls camping into private places and raped them.
Around the same time, the media had reported that 10 people, three of them armed, had been arrested by the police in relation to the case.
Iranian security and judicial bodies usually keep silent on such issues, saying they create psychological turmoil in society.
This is while the political-security deputy of the governor of Qazvin had affirmed the news, but had said it was the Justice Department that would legally have to report the details of the case.
In the meantime, an official with the department had said the sentence awaiting the criminals would likely be death.
Some Iranian media have compared the case to one from four years ago in Khomeinishahr in central Iran. In that case, 14 men had raped some women in a family garden in front of their menfolk.
A court sentenced four of the criminals to death.
Edited by CN