UN warns Nepal government, rebels on military recruitment
The United Nations on Tuesday said any new recruitment into the Maoist combat force or the Nepal army violates the peace agreement that ended the insurgency, reported dpa.
The UN Mission in Nepal expressed similar views to the past government about reports of new recruitment by the army in 2007.
The UN reaction followed a statement by a senior member of the former Maoist guerilla fighters that it would start recruitment.
Maoist People's Liberation Army deputy commander Baldev said Monday it would go ahead with the new recruitments because the Nepal army had begun to recruit despite an agreement not to do so.
Baldev said the Maoist army also needed to fill positions because there had been desertions and deaths in the past two years.
Nearly 20,000 Maoist combatants passed through UN verification and remain in 28 UN monitored camps across Nepal. Maoist fighters who met requirements were to be integrated into the security forces.
However, differences between political parties have prevented any moves to integrate former rebels into the army and police.
Under the peace agreement signed between the Nepalese government and the Maoist rebels in 2006, both sides pledged to stop recruitment of new soldiers.
The army recently announced it would fill 700 posts, including officers, saying it needed to replace those who retired.