A military jet carrying Özel landed in Afyonkarahisar early on Friday. The military chief then went to the Mete Saraç Military Barracks, where 25 soldiers were killed in a huge explosion and subsequent fire at an ammunition depot. After inspecting the explosion site, Ozel went to the Afyon State Hospital to visit soldiers who were injured in the blast.
Ozel, who appeared nervous, refused to respond to questions by reporters on his visit to the explosion site. "I will not speak. I will not say anything. Everything is obvious," he said angrily.
The explosion late on Wednesday has sent shockwaves across the country with its high death toll. Both military and civilian authorities are investigating the cause of the explosion, while initial reports have said the blast was due to mishandling of hand grenades by officers who were classifying them.
Officials have so far ruled out terrorism and sabotage, saying the blast was due to an accident.