Islamic Jihad armed wing, Saraya al- Quds, or al-Quds Brigades on Wednesday claimed responsibility for launching a barrage of rockets from the Gaza Strip into Israel, Xinhua reported.
Militants fired more than thirty rockets from the Gaza Strip into Israel on Wednesday evening, according to Israeli military. No injuries have been reported so far.
Local radio said sirens were heard in several cities and towns in southern Israel. The Israeli army has informed residents there to go to the shelters.
The Jihadist group said the attack was a retaliation to the Israeli killing of three of its militants in southern Gaza Strip on Tuesday.
Israeli aircraft struck an Islamic Jihad cell on Tuesday after it fired a mortar shell at Israeli troops patrolling the border fence between Israel and southern Gaza. The air strike killed three militants.
Earlier Wednesday, the group said it is so difficult to continue with a ceasefire agreement between the Palestinian factions and Israel.
"We are evaluating the ceasefire agreement which became so fragile following 1,600 recorded Israeli violations," it said. " Therefore, we believe that this agreement won't last for too long. "
In November 2012, Egypt brokered a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Gaza militants led by Islamic Hamas movement. The deal ended an eight-day Israeli air raid on the Gaza Strip, during which 180 Palestinians and six Israelis were killed.
Since then rocket attacks on southern Israeli borders have been relatively rare. Such attacks have increased since late last year.
After the latest rocket assault, a wave of violence between Israel and Gaza militants is expected in the coming days. The Israeli government has said that they will not keep silent after Wednesday's barrage of rockets.
Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency