( dpa ) - Automakers General Motors and Toyota are in a close race to claim the title of world's top auto manufacturer, with the rivals essentially tied in sales figures of about 9.37 million vehicles last year.
GM on Wednesday announced sales figures of 9,369,524 vehicles in 2007. The figures were the second-best in the firm's 100-year history, vice president John Middlebrook said.
Toyota has not yet released exact sales figures, but said earlier they were about 9.37 million. Last year, the Japanese automaker overcame GM in sales for the first time to briefly claim the number 1 spot, but GM retook Toyota in the third quarter. The US automaker has held the world's top spot for 76 years.
GM, whose brands include Chevrolet, Opel/Vauxhall, GMC Pontiac and Buick, has suffered on weaker sales in its home market, where it faces strong competition from international auto giants like Toyota and Honda.
Its sales rose 3 per cent overall, but fell 6 per cent in the US to 3.87 million vehicles. International sales were up 9 per cent in Europe, up 19 per cent in Latin America and up 18 per cent in China.
Toyota sales increased 6 per cent in 2007.