Arrested suspect allegedly responsible for Benghazi attack arrives in U.S
A Libyan militia leader who was allegedly responsible for the 2012 attacks on U.S. Embassy in Benghazi, arrived in Washington early Saturday, Xinhua reported.
The suspect, Ahmed Abu Khattala, was flown to Washington by helicopter shortly after sunrise from a Navy warship, the New York, where he had been held since his capture in Libya by American Special Operations Forces two week ago, according to a report posted on New York Times website.
The suspect was captured on June 15-16 during a nighttime raid on a seaside villa outside Benghazi by the Special Operations Forces.
On the evening of Sept. 11, 2012, Islamic militants attacked the American diplomatic mission at Benghazi, killing four Americans, including the U.S. ambassador J. Christopher Stevens.
The arrival of the suspect, who was expected to appear before a magistrate judge as early as Saturday afternoon, will formally open one of the most complicated terrorism cases the Justice Department has mounted in recent years, the report said quoting U. S. officials.
Abu Khattala was charged with three counts in connection with the attacks on the United States Mission in Benghazi and on a nearby C.I.A. facility, the report said.