On the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the Great Victory over fascism NIKOIL | Bank provided assistance to veterans of the Great Patriotic War - the members of the Public Union of Leningrad Blockade players (now - St. Petersburg), 900 survivors of the terrible days of the siege of the city. The meeting was held around the traditional holiday dinner. The meeting was also attended by Chairman of the Board Vasily V. Khamaza, who noted in his speech that there is no family in Azerbaijan, which would not touch the most terrible and bloodiest war of the 20th century.
"I do not know what we will stay in history and remember our grandchildren about us, but these people have passed blood, death, tears and joy of victory will be remembered for the ages" - V. Khamaza said, wished everyone good health and peaceful sky.
Recall that, the blockade of Leningrad lasted from 8 September 1941 to 27 January 1944. During the years of the siege were killed, according to various estimates, from 300 thousand up to 1.5 million people, only 3% of them were killed by the bombing and shelling, the remaining 97% died of starvation.
It should also be noted that in the period from 1941 to 1945, the Soviet Army was designed to about 600,000 Azerbaijanis, almost half of whom died at the front.