...

iPod Sets Man's Pants On Fire

ICT Materials 6 October 2007 02:44

( DigitalJournal ) The new iPod Nano is hot. But one Douglasville man said his old Nano got even hotter, hot enough to burst into flames. Williams said the burn hole from the pocket of his pants marks the spot of his 15 seconds of flame.

wsbtv reports that the man said he had an iPod Nano and a glossy piece of paper in his pocket. He believes the paper shielded him from being burned.

"So I look down and I see flames coming up to my chest," said Danny Williams.

"I'm still kind of freaked out that after only a year and a half my iPod caught fire in my pocket," said Williams.

Of course, the iPod uses a lithium ion battery, which is the same type of battery under recall for setting laptops on fire.

He is understandably concerned. Williams said the fact is iPod Nano burst into flames while he was at work was bad enough, where he works could have been another issue.

He works at a kiosk in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Where this sort o0f thing could lead to big trouble.

"If TSA had come by and seen me smoking, they could have honestly thought I was a terrorist," said Williams.

Apple wants him to send his iPod back and they've promised to replace it. Williams' mother called Channel 2 because she said this is more than one iPod . She said it's about what could have happened.

"It could have happened when we were sleeping, it could have happened when he was driving and the outcome could have been much worse," said Elaine Williams.

Channel 2 sent Apple pictures of the iPod , they called back but they refused to talk about how common the problem is. In fact, Apple refused to talk about this particular incident at all.

That is very interesting. I wonder if they see a potentially larger problem here due to the batteries.

Latest

Latest