...

Iran again summons Saudi ambassador over alleged assassination plot

Iran Materials 19 October 2011 23:32 (UTC +04:00)
Iran on Wednesday summoned the Saudi Arabian ambassador to Tehran, for the second time within a week, over alleged Iranian involvement in a plot to kill the Saudi envoy in Washington.
Iran again summons Saudi ambassador over alleged assassination plot

Iran on Wednesday summoned the Saudi Arabian ambassador to Tehran, for the second time within a week, over alleged Iranian involvement in a plot to kill the Saudi envoy in Washington, DPA reported.

Tehran warned the Saudi ambassador that Riyadh should be careful with its remarks over the US allegations against Iran, according to a foreign ministry press release.

"Any unsuitable remarks and reactions (by Saudi officials) regarding the totally baseless US scenario should be avoided," Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Amir Abdollahian told the Saudi diplomat.

"The US should not be allowed to endanger international security by raising baseless accusations, and every country should therefore have a responsible approach towards these charges," Abdollahian added.

Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi had warned Saudi Arabia on Monday not to bring the case to the United Nations Security Council, stressing that the US charges were "aimed at creating political differences in the region."

US President Barack Obama has not only demanded new tough sanctions against Iran, but also said other options were not off the table.

If the case went to the UN Security Council, then Iran could face more sanctions in addition to those imposed on the Islamic state over its uncompromising stance in its nuclear dispute with Western nations.

The Saudi ambassador was quoted in the statement as saying that he would relay Tehran's standpoint to his government.

Salehi said Tuesday that Iran had asked the US twice to provide the necessary information about the main suspect, Mansour Arbabsiar, but had not yet received a reply.

Salehi also wondered why Arbabsiar was deprived of his right to consular access and why he had no lawyer yet.

In Washington however, State Department spokesman Mark Toner said he was not aware that a note seeking access to US evidence in the case had been formally received from the Iranians.

Latest

Latest